Tuesday, May 13, 2008

For the Healthy...

or those who desire to be!


For those of you who don't know I am training to run a 5K. Now that it is in the open, there is no turning back. I found a running schedule called "From Couch Potato to 5K".




I am on week 4 of a 9 week schedule. I can now run 5 minutes...doesn't sound like much but I am thrilled with my progress. Week 1 was running 90 seconds and walking 2 minutes for 30minutes, I didn't ever think I would make it this far. Next week will be a challenge, 20minutes, really???? Well in my attempts to exercise I have tried eating healthier, although you wouldn't guess it with the recipes so far. Here is a good lunch idea I got out of a Weight Watchers cookbook.




Corn and Black Bean Lettuce Bundles
1 (19oz.) can black beans
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 red bell pepper
4 green onions sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 garlic clove - minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 head Boston lettuce - cleaned and separated into leaves

1. In medium bowl combine all ingredients except lettuce. Refrigerate covered at least 1 hour to let flavors blend.

2. Fill lettuce leaves with 1/3 cup mixture and roll up like a burrito.

Makes 8 bundles

Per 2 bundles...166 cal, 4 g fat, 29 g carb, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein
WW points 3 points

The bean mixture is really good with tortilla chips too!


1 comment:

Becky, yep said...

YUM! I'll try ANYTHING with Cilantro in it!

PS, I'd love to run it with you...have you chosen one yet?